Wednesday, March 23, 2005

TV Party and other stuff

I've added a link to TV Party over on the right (the headline above should also bring you there) which I discovered while doing a 'net search for some kid's shows I used to watch. It's a nice site with plenty of links to pages dedicated to various old television programs and personalities. As with the cartoon sites you may find yourself going from place to place wasting valuable work hours.

My parents didn't own a set until around 1956 (according to my Mom), so I don't really have memories of anything prior to that. It's likely that I may have been allowed to watch something downstairs at my grandparents, but I can't be sure. Most likely I was probably six or seven years old before I really began sitting in front of the set letting the hypnotic b&w screen work its wonders.

Growing up in southeastern Connecticut my most vivid memories are of the four TV stations we got most clearly. This, of course, was back in the primitive days of TV antennas and the four networks (I believe that Dumont was still broadcasting at that point). I know we received two CBS stations, one NBC and an ABC affiliate. I have a memory of one of the stations switching affiliation at some point. We only picked up one station from Connecticut, that being WTIC (now WFSB) Channel 3 out of Hartford. The other stations were located in Boston & Providence, at least their IDs indicated that.

When I have a chance I'm going to talk about some of the kiddie shows I most vividly recall, but I want to point out the page at TV Party which talks about the Boston kid's shows. Most of those are the hosts I remember, especially Rex Trailer and "Big Brother" Bob Emory both on WBZ.

No comments: