Monday, March 21, 2005

Tracking the elusive toon!

Back when I was a kid, during the mid-1950s to late 1960s, I loved cartoons. In my mind, of course, this was the ‘Golden Age’ of television animation. Hanna-Barbara, Ruby-Spears & Warner Bros. seemed to rule the roost, with some Terrytoons and other studios taking up the rest of the time. Early on it was the older cartoons, originally made for theatrical release, getting a second chance in weekday afternoon slots and the taking over on Saturday mornings. If you liked animation you could certainly get your fill, although you had to wait for certain times of the day.

Back then I don’t think any of us could have imagined entire television channels featuring animation almost 24/7. You get not only shorts, but entire ‘feature length’ movies, some made in other countries. Wow!!!

For me, BOOMERANG is probably the channel I most watch, when I have the chance. The channel shows most of the old H-B shows I used to love, as well as some Jay Ward and other programs. The blocks dedicated the various super-hero/adventure shows (Herculoids, Galaxy Trio, Birdman, etc.) are really the ones which I still find entertaining. Part of me never quite grew up and still loves the things which thrilled me as a kid.

The link over on the right will take you to www.toontracker.com an absolutely amazing site filled with page after page of illustrations, theme songs, information and even some actual cartoons. I’ve spent hours going from one section to another and think that you’re likely to do the same.

No comments: