Friday, March 04, 2005

The Red Sox win their pre-season opener

The Boston Red Sox won their first pre-season game yesterday, beating the Minnesota Twins by one run. The final score of the “Grapefruit League” game was 4-3, with new pitcher Matt Clement allowing one of the Twin’s runs during his two innings of work.
Today the team will have a couple of split squad games against some college teams.

I don’t expect to be doing this day-by-day, but will try to get in a few times a week with Sox news, good or bad. Like most Boston fans, I’m moderately confident that the Red Sox can prove themselves not to be one-time wonders.

The Yankees tied their opening game with the Pirates, with a final score of 2-2. Randy Johnson was originally slated to pitch, but given a minor problem with his left leg Joe Torre wisely replaced him. Why push it this early? I'm sure that the Big Unit will have more than enough chances to prove he's worth the money George S. shelled out.

The other New York team got rained out, so the Mets will have their first game today against the Cardinals with new acquisition Pedro Martinez on the mound. I understand Pedro played for some other team last season.

I haven't been this excited about the baseball season since I was a kid. Fingers crossed that my enthusiasm is rewarded!

No comments: