Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Charles Starrett: One Fan's Journey

As usual around here, I was surprised to find a reply to a review I posted a while ago. This happened to be about the Durango Kid. If you click on the link in the headline you'll see that he has posted reviews of eight DK movies, some of which I haven't seen since I was a kid.

DK was played by action star Charles Starrett in a series of literally dozens of films from 1940 until 1953.
Between his first film role in 1935 until his retirement, at the end of the DK series, Starrett appeared in well over 100+ movies. Depending on the various sites it ranged from 115 to over 160 films, mostly action/westerns during his career. I have to assume that some of the writers count his early non-starring roles, while others only those in which Starretts name appears in top of the credits. Either way it is an amazing run for any actor.
If you're at all interested you'll find more about Starrett and DK at IMDB.com, CowboyPals and AC Comics (where publisher Bill Black has issued reprints of some of the DK stories from Magazine Entertainment).

3 comments:

Mike said...

Hey Steve, Just caught your film clip drinking Moxie. I lived in New Hampshire late 40's, early '50's. They did sell Moxie at the general store where I lived. It's been a while but I recall the taste as being similar to Dr. Pepper. Both tonics (as the New Englanders referred to them) were basically pick you up drinks. You recall the numbers "10 - 2 - 4" on the Dr. Pepper bottles. This was to indicate the time of day when you needed a pick-me-up. Now the kids have Red Bull which has twice the sugar content and has been known to cause seizures if consumed too rapidly. I recall seeing Buck Jones riding a carousel horse with a bottle of Moxie in an old ad.

Mike said...

Re: Tim Kirk who runs the Charles Starrett website. I'm surprised that you wasted much time with him. I wrote several comments underneath different photos of Charles Starrett and he rarely acknowledged them. He costantly carped about Smiley Burnette and how Burnette was a no-talent clown. I tried to explain to him that Burnette was a valuable asset to the series even though he did have a tendency to take over. Kirk also made some asinine remarks that there were hidden "gay" references in the scripts and that the scriptwriters were having fun with the plots. On one of my blogs, I indicated that maybe he (Tim) was a closet gay and that he was secretly trying to come out. He got so mad that he asked me to leave his website. If you would like to hear my stories about Barry Shipman who wrote many of the Durango Kids, please contact me at frontrowkid@gmail.com

Steve Chaput said...

I have never had a problem with Tim, and aren't going to get in the middle of a disagreement.

Tim was nice enough to comment on my Charles Starrett and I returned the favor.

I do appreciate your comments though and hope to begin posting a bit more on this blog.