Monday, February 07, 2005

Jose Canseco book

I'm shocked and appalled! Well, perhaps not so much shocked, but it is troublesome to believe that many of the baseball (and other sports to be sure) records we've seen broken over the past couple of decades were done so with artificial assistance. I'm not talking chalked bats here!

The naming of names by Canseco, in his forthcoming book probably won't surprise many folks. We have the usual suspects, of course, but some names wouldn't immediately come to mind. We all suspected McGwire and Giambi admitted to doing them, still if we take what Canseco says as gospel a good portion of the Texas Rangers and a number of others in the '90s were shooting up. It seems obvious, if this is true, that the managers and coaches could not have been oblivious to what was going on right under their noses.

With the newly drafted 'get tough' policy that MLB is pushing it will be interesting to see if other names come out and if this information will have any effect on the Hall of Fame voting. I'm sure not the only fan who will start seeing an invisible asterisk after a few records, even if they down appear in black & white on the pages.

Am I old fashioned in this? Should I just be happy to watch the game and hope my favorite hits on over the wall, even if his head is the size of a basketball?

Just my two cents, I guess.


No comments: