Tuesday, March 18, 2008

RIP: Arthur C. Clarke


I was saddened to learn of the passing of SF great, Arthur C. Clarke. Probably best known, by non-fans, for the short story The Sentinel," written in 1948, that formed the basis of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The director worked with Clarke on the movie treatment and the author went on to expand the original work into a novel. The success of that film moved Clarke to write several sequels, with 2010, also being made into a movie.

When I began reading novels as a teenager, Clarke's work and that of his contemporary Robert Heinlein became my introduction to science fiction. For a decade I read just about every book I could get my hands on written by either.

I expect that there will be a lot of obits appearing over the next few days, by fans such as myself and by Clarke's friends & fellow writers. I can't hope to match what they will have to say about the man. (The link in the headline will take you to the Associated Press obit.)
My condolences to his family, friends and millions of fans touched by his works.

No comments: