Tuesday, May 03, 2005

An animated Sunday

Donna wanted to watch a movie on television Sunday night, so after watching COLD CASE (see Parting Shots for more on that) I went into the bedroom and caught some animation.

I'm really glad to see FAMILY GUY given a chance once again. The opening even jokes about how the show won't get on the air until dozens of other Fox shows fail. The gag being that, in fact, they all did! The rest of the episode is even better including take offs on NORTH BY NORTHWEST and an escape from Mel Gibson. The show pushes the envelope and really deserves another shot.

It was followed by the first episode (at least the first I've seen) of AMERICAN DAD. The show features the homelife of a mid-level CIA operative and his family. Over the top, which is what you'd expect from the same folks (Seth MacFarlane & Co.) who bring you FAMILY GUY. It will take more than one episode to win me over, but they seem to be off to a good start.

I love the fact that there is an alien living in the house, with no explanation, along with a gold fish who speaks (everyone can hear him) in a German accent. The family just accepts all this, which adds to the silliness of the whole thing.

After this, I switched over to Comedy Central and caught a couple of episodes of SOUTH PARK from the past season. I'm not addicted to the show as I once was, but love to check it out now and then. It continues to be as cutting edge as ever.

No comments: