Monday, June 30, 2008

Four-color Fiend: What the...?!


Somebody want to explain to me what the hell is going on in FINAL CRISIS? For the past year I've been reading COUNTDOWN and various tie-ins, the INFINITE CRISIS and OMAC PROJECT stuff, plus the TPB collections of 52. In spite of all this I find that I'm clueless about a lot of the things going on. I'm not even going to mention SPOILERS because I don't know if I'm giving anything away at this point.

The cop/detective that has been narrating part of the story is apparently Darkseid and some of the Green Lantern Corps are actually his former flunkies. He doesn't know who he is, at least not until the end of the second issue of FI, and even there he seems unsure.

Oh and it looks like Barry Allen is back from or forward into the past of whatever time or world we are viewing. Don't even bother to ask about all that crap happening in Japan with some guy calling himself Mister Miracle, who has changed his race.

And the new Black Racer (who I have to assume is the scary guy on long blades) is just too creepy. Of course, folks made light of Kirby's version, so I guess DC decided he had to be more extra-worldly.

The thing is it is well-drawn and nicely, written, but I still don't know that I like it or where it is going. I mean there is some point, isn't there?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "some guy calling himself Mr. Miracle has been around since 1973, and has been Mr. Miracle (at least part time) since the old days of the JLI

Steve Chaput said...

You telling me the guy dressed like a pimp is Scott Free?

Unknown said...

Nope. The guy you're talking about is Shiloh Norman, who Scott Free trained to be his replacement at some point, if I'm remembering correctly. He was the star of the recent Seven Soldiers of Victory books that Morrison did a couple years back.

Steve Chaput said...

Thanks, Paul! I appreciate the info. I had only read the Silent Knight books from that series, so wasn't familiar with the character.

One of the thing that bothers me about so many of the DC events is that they are so new-reader unfriendly. One of the reasons I'm enjoying Secret Invasion so much is that Marvel is taking a page or so to explain what is going on.

Btw, hope to see you in San Diego later this month!