Thursday, January 25, 2007

San Diego Comic Con International


The headline above will bring you over to the official SD Comic Convention site. It's my not so subtle way of announcing that I'll be attending the convention this year, at least for a day or so.

My hope is to be able to meet up with former and current members of Capa-Alpha, the comics apa. I was a member and waitlister for that particular apa for over ten years, during my extreme fanboy phase. We're talking about the years between 1982 and 1998, with a bit of fannish activity until 2004 or so.


My very first SD con was back in 1975, while I was actually stationed in the area on the USS Waddell. My actual first convention was a few months before that, in a high-school gym. There were only a few 'pros' in attendance, but I was only interested in picking up the latest issues of DC & Marvel comics in addition to any fanzines I might find. The actual SD con later in the year was a real eye-opener, as you can imagine. Who'd believe that guys like Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko and a very ill-looking Wally Wood would actually talk to a kid from Taftville, Connecticut?


I'll be talking more about the convention over the next few months, as my plans become more defined. If any of you are going to be there, let me know and maybe we can meet up.

2 comments:

Elayne said...

Hey, who knows, maybe they'll go out to dinner and hire a stripper again.

I miss some of those guys, but definitely not all of them.

Have a great time in SD. Wish I could afford to go!

Steve Chaput said...

The annual meeting of the "He-man Women Haters Club" will probably be up to it's usual high standards, thank you very much!

Wow! You, me and The Dude. It seems like a lifetime ago. :-)