Sunday, May 23, 2021

Popcorn for One: My review of Spiral: From the Book of Saw

  I watched both Spiral: From the Book of Saw and Army Of The Dead yesterday. I'd been looking forward to both. Caught the new Saw film in a theater and enjoyed it. Good scares and a nice twist (unless you know how new tattoos heal). Had an ending similar to others in the franchise, leaving open the possibility of a sequel. Folks have complained that Chris Rock comes off too intense, but given his backstory I thought it worked. A solid 3.5 out of 5 and a good addition to the franchise.

On the other hand, AotD was a disappointment. Anything I might say would be a spoiler, but simply put, it's too long and very predictable. I has a nice set up and the usual 'getting the squad together' first act. The second act has some okay action and we learn how the 'survivor camp' outside LV works, allowing some current commentary on certain events. We also learn that there are two types of zombies, as well as how that society works.

Sadly, the third act is padded with director Zach Snyder to allow emotional scenes between various characters so their fates are more meaningful. Only true spoiler I'll toss out is that if you saw the last Predator film you know what's coming and can predict it.
Best I can do is a 3 out of 5 with this, and it actually makes Spiral into a solid 4 by comparison. I'd watch the Saw film again as the ending reveals things you missed may have missed initially. AotD is forgettable once you leave the theater.



No comments: