Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Four Color Fiend: Seven Soldiers - Silent Knight


I’m going to quickly cover some of the trade paperback and mini-series I picked up the other week. As usual, in case you don’t already know all of this, there are a lot of:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

SEVEN SOLDERS - Silent Knight #1-4: I generally like Grant Morrison, but I can’t say that I liked this particular series very much. I would have given him the benefit of the doubt, since I haven’t read the other SS books that apparently all tie together. However, if this title is any indication of the rest of the books I think I’ll pass. Even at 50% off this wasn’t worth it.

Anyway, we have another take on a Golden Age character who shares nothing but a name and a connection with King Arthur, although he too is a different from what we expect. This Arthur and his knights lived around 8,000 BC, his kingdom destroyed by race called the Sheeda who according to Wikipedia are not alien but some genetically engineered life from the future. I really didn’t get all that from this series, which I thought implied the Sheeda, were some kind of vampire race, since Wikipedia doesn’t mention this I’ll have to believe that it was all covered in the lead in book. The knight here is Sir Justin/Ystin who with the winged horse, Vanguard is captured by the Sheeda but escapes only to discover that they have been taken to the modern world.

Ystin is unable to speak English and is initially captured by the police for causing a disturbance, but escapes. Vanguard, through some roundabout means finds itself in the hands of Vincenzo, the Undying Don making things even more confusing for this reader. After a series of adventures Ysten, who is revealed in a later issue to actually be a female, is confronted by beings sent by the Sheeda, after which she turns herself in hoping for assistance in locating the missing Vanguard. While in custody the Queen of the Sheeda, in disguise as human, reveals herself then calling forth a troop of her warriors. Lots of people seem to be killed, but you really don’t care about any of them so it doesn’t matter. At this point everthing comes to a halt, and the story is continued in the Seven Soldier series. Given my feelings about this series I don't know that I'll go out of my way to find out what does happen.

While the art of Simone Bianchi is quite nice it is sometimes hard to follow the progress of the action. This is not helped by very dark coloring, which makes it even more difficult to figure out what is going on.

I had planned on reviewing a couple of comic titles but I’ve already gone on much too long on SK, so I’ll save the rest for next time.

No comments: